Thursday, July 03, 2008

On our way to Horta on the island of Faial

July 3, 2008 Thursday
It is 135 miles to Horta and we have 82 left to go. We left Lajes Harbor around 11:30. We weren't in too great a hurry to leave because we didn't want to get to Horta before daybreak. However, there is about 20 knots of wind and so we are just tearing along - kinda rolly, but fast.

It is trying to rain a little. I might comment on the climate a bit. It seems to average in the 70's during the day. In the winter, they say it gets down into the 50's. Overall, it is very mild. There is enough rain for the greenery and the flowers. BTW, locals tell us that the flowers haven't really even happened yet. They max out in late July and August. Anyway, the climate - I haven't worn a jacket in a really long time, or even a sweater. It's overcast so I have on a shirt. On the other hand, it isn't hot either. Just perfect for light clothes.

So tomorrow AM we get to the fleshpots of Horta. Hardware stores so I can buy a cord to connect European electricity to the boat; European hoses, some electrical goodies to replace things that broke. Not much broke, but the genset needed a new salt water pump impeller. Lucky I had a few! There is a marina that charges 16 Euros a night including water and electricity. Not too bad. It will be nice to be able to walk into town without having to get in the dinghy. Flores didn't have much in the way of restaurants - cheap, but not high cuisine. I suspect Horta will have more to offer. And markets with plenty of fresh vegetables would be welcome, too.

I'm starting to play the guitar again - I feel like I am playing with my toes - I am so rusty!

Horta is the crossroads of the atlantic. During June, July, and August, hundreds of yachts pass through it - and they all paint their names on the harbor wall for good luck (or to avoid bad luck). We have brought paints for that purpose. It will be cool to see so many yachts from so many places. In Lajes, there were about 10 boats and many were from France; one from Denmark, 2 from England, 1 from Spain, and we were the only American after Solstice left.

If one were into tranquil living and didn't need a lot of stimulation, living on Flores would have been a dream. I'm sure that you can buy a nice house with ocean view for $100,000. There were no "for sale" signs, but if you knew the local, opportunities would emerge. A lot of Azoreans go to the States, primarily Massachusetts, to earn money and then retire back in the Azores. We knew a fisherman in Santa Cruz that was planning to go back for good when he got old. But Portuguese is a very complicated language - at least to pronounce and to hear. We need a good grammar book. I hate not being able to talk "local".

Well, I'm on watch and I better get back to it. Feel free to write - we love to hear from you. There is wifi in Horta courtesy of the city and so you can use saeta@sailingflamenco.com - there, now you have no excuses.

BTW, here are Merritt and I putting up the spinnaker pole - click on it to play the video....

No comments: