Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Can it be this good?

Nov. 22, 2006 On passage to Mazatlan
We loved the anchorage at Caleta Partida and will have photos of the desert wild flowers as soon as we get to the internet in Mazatlan. When we pulled up the anchor at 0300 to start out for Mazatlan, it was a new moon, but the stars were awesome. The anchorage was glassy still with the stars reflecting in the water. We got the anchor up and made our getaway as quietly as possible so as to not bother the other boats. I was dressed for night sailing. I had my tee shirt on! I have been wearing the same shorts, sandals, and tee shirt for days. I take the shirt off before it gets funky. I suspect that this part of the world gets pretty hot in the summer because it is plenty warm in the winter. But the good news; no bugs so far!
We headed around the end of Isla Partida to take a departure for Mazatlan. But there was only about 3 knots of wind, so we had to motor. Well, we chose to motor rather than to go 1.5 knots. While we were motoring along in the dark, there were lots of shooting stars and on each one I wished for a nice pleasant wind that would allow us to go fast in comfort. Well, as long as we are wishing.....
Daylight came and we were still motoring although it was not all that bad since we needed to make some water and can only do that when we are generating electricity because it drains the batteries too fast otherwise. So we made water. We haven't taken water out of a hose since San Diego and the water we make is so soft that our hair is getting really nice.
We kept motoring until noon although we had all the working sails up to extract whatever extra speed we could get from the light winds. Finally at noon there seemed to be enough wind and we turned off the motor and put up the spinnaker. Pretty soon, we were doing 6 knots. 6 knots is about where sailing gets real nice. At 6 knots, you are making almost as much progress as with the motor, but quiet. All afternoon, the wind gently built until we had 15 knots behind us and were going 6.5-7 Knots. Yes!
So I just had my second beer. Andi is reading a book and I am reading one too, although being on watch means there are interruptions. But the autopilot steers the right wind angle for the sails and only once in a while do I need to intervene. I thought I would take a few moments to write this before going back to my reading. There are smooth seas. There is a swell coming up from the South, no doubt produced by former hurricane Sergio, but it is just gentle mounds of water that pass every 15 seconds or so and we hardly notice them.
15 knots of wind behind us and smooth seas - a sailors dream. I guess those stars must have been listening after all. Pictures to follow. Don't forget to write

No comments: