Wednesday, November 29, 2006

On the way to Puerta Vallarta

Nov. 29, 2006 8 miles north of Isla Isabela, Nayarit
It is hot and I am looking forward to a swim as soon as we anchor. We should be at the anchorage by 5:15 since we are motorsailing and moving fast. We have been using the motor a lot so far. The winds are light and invariably directly behind us, which is just about the least useful place for them to be. I love our engine! Today's run has allowed us to refill our water tanks with sweet water. (due to the watermaker)
We hated to leave Mazatlan. Not only is there a wonderful cruiser's community, but the town is really attractive to us. The cruisers were great. We made new friends, connected with old ones, and even got to do some music and dance (for which we got a very warm reception).
If I were thinking about buying property in Mexico, Mazatlan would be on my short list. It is far enough North to cool off (a little) and far enough South to be tropical. The downtown area is gentrifying rapidly, but there are still some ruined building that could be restored to classical elegance. I remember when Sevilla was at that level. Now, you can't buy anything for less than a fortune. Some of the cruisers who are getting a bit old to be sailing have bought houses in the mountain villages nearby for $12,000.
After spending tonight at Isla Isabela in company with buddy boat Ladyhawke (Mike and Marilyn) we will enter Banderas Bay and stop at Puerta Vallarta (PV). We can shop there for provisions and then want to harbor hop along stopping at quaint seaside villages. Andi has had all that all planned out for months now. I just ask her where we are going.
We got Skype (voice over internet) working and so have been able to make a few cheap calls home. 2 cents a minute isn't too bad! And if YOU had Skype, it would be free!
I am not used to the heat yet and have been wearing the minimum in clothes when we are alone on the boat. I heard that it got down to 31 degrees the other night in Santa Cruz. Unfortunately, my body is still more used to cold than heat. I guess it gradually adjusts. I hope...
Best regards to all,

No comments: