Friday, June 22, 2007

Still in St. Augustine for a few days more

June 22, 2007 Friday
I'm still in St. Augustine. Andrea is still visiting family and friends in California and I will be flying out to join her in July. In the meanwhile, I am going to move the boat up to North Carolina. I will be joined by Paul Brocchini who I met in Puerta Vallarta after the Baja-ha-ha. He is a great guy, which I knew the minute I met him. I'm glad to have the company and a good sailor.
Originally I had thought about visiting Savannah and Charleston - two classic ante-bellum cities. But, we can visit them on the way back South in the fall. I want to get further along. Paul and I will take the outside route - 365 miles to Beaufort, NC. We will go out to the Gulf Stream to pick up a favorable current and we should be there in 2 days. We'll hang around Beaufort for a few days and then take the ICW up to Oriental, NC - a little town of 875 people and 2,700 sailboats. Obviously, lots of people leave their boats there.
I will do the same when I fly back to CA. Andi will really like it when she sees it in July. A lot of cruisers settle there permanently. Here are some pictures:
I told you that I was varnishing the cabin sole. Here is how it came out.
There is lots of wild life here. Here we see a small egret who is sitting on our power cord to do his fishing. There are also large ones about twice his size. Every evening, a pod of dolphins feeds off our stern. There are SOOOO many fish here!
This is one of the streets in classic "old town" St. Augustine (America's oldest city)
I'll write again from North Carolina. Don't you be afraid to write.

No comments: