Friday, February 06, 2009

I guess this must be my year....

February 6, 2009
I was asked to perform at the flamenco "academy awards". Now flamenco being sort of a cult artform, these awards were not like something major in the mainstream like movies are. But, this was important enough to bring out a crowd of bigname artists - from far away came the ones who were receiving prizes, but also were present all the most famous artists from Jerez (which was where the awards were given out).

There were three acts selected to break up the speeches and presentation of awards. The first was a progressive dance number with a very talented Danish/Spanish dancer, singer, and guitarist doing a most modern dansish thing with smoke generators, etc. But it was very well done. Then came some Jaleos from Extremadura with 4 guys beating out the rhythm with canes while one of them sang. They were good, but nowhere as good as what they did backstage just fooling around. I had to wait until last and had a chance to get good and nervous. I won't even talk about the soundcheck because I know that at soundcheck I always am a disaster and the experience kills my confidence. So finally I came out and started playing a buleria. I started out with the verse I wrote - mas presumido no se ve, un guiri cantando flamenco, por la gente de Jerez - which got them in the mood. Although I had all kinds of technical problems - the 6th string slipped out of the cejilla and the guitar microphone drooped towards the floor - nevertheless the audience was very generous. In fact, Farruquito (a BIG star) was sitting up front and his cheering my on kept me going.

Here is a photo from the Diaro de Jerez, the local newspaper. I was also on Onda Jerez, the local TV station and am promised that I'll get a DVD. I'm not holding my breath.

This shows the room with it's many video screens. Andrea told me that the audience seemed relieved to get something that was just plain pure flamenco which explained their enthusiasm.

Here are the famous artists cheering me on. From left to right, Chicuelo, Farruquito, Farru, Diego Amador, and at the far right, Pele. At the end, the applause was generous and I'm told that some of the people were on their feet. I thought that I hadn't done very well and wasn't looking.

Afterwards there was a big reception with wine and tapas in which we got to smooze with the stars. Here is Andrea with Farruquito.

And here is me with Moraito, a famous Jerez guitarist.

At the end, I was congratulated by all kinds of artists that I had never even met formally, but knew of course very well including: Moraito, Paco Cepero, Fernando Moreno, Fernando el de la Morena, Manuel Morao, Pele, Farruquito, Jesus Mendez, Diego Amador plus a generous assortment of aficionados and journalists. Some were so complimentary that I was actually embarrassed. But a nice kind of embarrassed. Every artist lives for a moment like this, especially one from another country who has no right to be doing this music.

I was also honored that Miguel, his wife, and friends Manolo and Ana came over from Rota to share this with me.

I could put up a video, but I suspect that you've seen enough video of me doing my little thing. OK, due to a large public clamor (of one) - here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qKnc26xvF4

1 comment:

Mick said...

Creo que eres equivicado, Quixote ... ¡nos gustan tus videos!
Mick