Monday, February 16, 2009

The peña just keeps getting better...

Monday, February 16, 2009
As you probably know, we've been going to the local flamenco club (peña) every Saturday afternoon for a gathering of the local aficionados. They sing and I play guitar for them. It is much fun and just keeps getting better. We have now created enough of a scene that outsiders are starting to show up to participate. We had several families of gypsies come by this week. One of them from Puerto de Santa Maria had seen me on TV when I played for the flamenco "Oscars". This group had a dad, who played guitar and sang; a mom who sang; and a daughter who danced like you could hardly believe - except that I am going to show you a video.....



We don't even know their names and Negro Agujetas doesn't either. But they joined in on the fun and for the first time, I didn't have to play the guitar the whole time. Last week I played 7 hours out of 12, with the afternoon in the peña and a fiesta later in Chipiona. This flamenco stuff gets pretty tiring, but who's complaining. We all sang and carried on. Andi sang and then got up and danced. Unfortunately, as the guitarist, I can't run the camera too, so you will have to imagine that part. You're probably getting tired about reading about flamenco which I why I'm not writing about near as much as is happening.

We keep hearing about how devastating the economy is back in the States and are kinda glad we're here - at least from an economic standpoint. Of course we miss you all and will be there this summer. But still, don't be afraid to write.

No comments: